Subject: THE LISC ONLINE SUPPORT MINI HOW-TO

From: lilo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 07:13:48 -0600

THE LISC ONLINE LINUX SUPPORT MINI HOW-TO
                  -----------------------------------------

                 Or, "Friendly Help With Linux Questions" :)

This Mini-How-To briefly describes LISC, the Linux Internet Support
Cooperative.  Updated versions will be posted on comp.os.linux.answers and
in all of the usual ftp locations.  For additional information, check with
me via email, "lilo <[email-masked]>".  But the best way to locate
me is to find me online.  ;)

1.    What is LISC?

LISC, the Linux Internet Support Cooperative, is an informal group which
provides friendly online support and problem assistance, for new and
experienced Linux users, using Internet Relay Chat (IRC).  We can be found
on the #LinPeople IRC channel, on the IRC network known as the "Undernet."

1.1.  Who runs LISC?

To the extent that anyone "runs" LISC, I guess that's me, lilo.  :)  I
coordinate the automation which maintains the #LinPeople channel's
facilities.  Those facilities are provided through the gracious assistance
of several Internet admins.

1.2.  Why LISC and #LinPeople?

LISC was started several months ago, to fill a need which seems to go unmet
on the existing Linux IRC networks and channels.  It seems that channel
operators are often more interested in using their KICK and BAN privileges
than actually helping people (particularly newbies) with their Linux
problems.

#LinPeople is a relaxed environment where newbies, experienced users and
developers can all discuss topics relating to Linux.  We rarely have or need
human channel operators, and we will help whenever we can with your Linux
problems.

Many users, particularly those new to Unix-like systems, seem to respond
best to patient, interactive support.  So, while we consider it part of our
job to point out available documentation, such phrases as "Read the F***ing
Manual!" are not in our vocabulary. :)

1.3.    Do you need volunteers?

We welcome volunteers.  Since we're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,
including holidays, any time you are willing to contribute will be greatly
appreciated.  And, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you are
helping to expand the Linux user base, by reducing the frustration level of
people who are learning to use the system.  :)

Anyone who is interested in helping users with Linux-related problems, and
feels competent to do so, is welcome to try their hand, whenever they are
available.  We're not setting up fixed support schedules.  We ask only that
you treat our users with respect, and try not to respond to questions from
newbies if you're not in a patient mood.  :)

1.4.  Is LISC affiliated with LinuxNet?

No, we're not.  We are presently found exclusively on Undernet IRC servers.
Undernet has existed for over two years, making it a very stable platform. 
We're happy with its server code, which contains several features which
contribute to the reliable maintenance of our channel.  LinuxNet does
not run servers with those features.

2.    How do I access #LinPeople?

To access #LinPeople, we recommend you use ircII.  There are other IRC
client programs available for WINDOWS, X, VMS and the various Internet-
connected systems, too diverse to describe in detail here, but ircII is the
canonical IRC client program.

For information on using ircII, check ftp site ftp.undernet.org:/irc/docs. 
Once you get onto the Undernet, the IRC operator channel, #wasteland, and
channel #help, are available when you have questions.  The next section
briefly describes how to start up ircII.

If you wish to install ircII on your own system, we recommend obtaining
version 2.6, along with its help files, from cs-ftp.bu.edu:/irc/clients.  Do
not fail to run the configuration script provided in the base source
directory, before attempting to 'make' the program.  It will save you lots
of grief.  :)

2.1.   Can you quickly describe how to start up ircII?

On most Unix_type systems, you'll use the command name 'ircII' or 'irc'. The
format is:

                IRC_COMMAND IRC_NICKNAME IRC_SERVER_HOSTNAME

For example, the following command might be used to enter an IRC session
using IRC nickname 'BigFred', on a system where the IRC command is 'ircII':

                  'ircII BigFred Norman.OK.US.UnderNet.ORG'

A list of Undernet IRC server hostnames is provided below.  We hope to see
you soon, on #LinPeople!  :)

2.2.   When is #LinPeople available?

#LinPeople is open 24 hours, 7 days a week, including most holidays.  We
aren't staffed as well as we'd like at certain time periods (see
"Volunteers," above), but we'll try to help any time you have a question or
a problem.

2.3.   How do I ask questions?

When you enter the channel, first check to see if a conversation is going
on.  If so, describe your problem briefly and wait for a response.  Be
patient.  If you're a newbie, be aware that some answers will be long, and
listen patiently.  Ask questions about things you don't understand.  :)

If no one is talking when you enter the channel, jump right in.  But,
remember that even if there are people on the channel, they may not be awake
or at their terminals.  People often idle on IRC channels, so that people
can read their '/away' messages, or to await messages from specific users. 
If you don't get an immediate response, wait a few minutes and try again.

And, remember we're all volunteers; we have jobs and schoolwork when we're
not answering questions.  Don't beep--that disrupts the work environment and
people tend to be a little sensitive about it. When someone comes back from
idling, they'll usually send a public message to let you know.

2.4.   Is there a list of Undernet IRC servers?

An official list of Undernet servers can usually be found on ftp site
ftp.undernet.org:/irc/undernet. The following list is reasonably current.
Not all servers will work from all locations; try to pick a server near
your geographic location.  If you receive an error message or your IRC
client hangs while starting up, try a different server....

albany.ny.us.undernet.org              norman.ok.us.undernet.org
austin.tx.us.undernet.org              oslo.no.eu.undernet.org
boston.ma.us.undernet.org              oxford.uk.eu.undernet.org
caen.fr.eu.undernet.org                paderborn.de.eu.undernet.org
davis.ca.us.undernet.org               rochester.mi.us.undernet.org
delft.nl.eu.undernet.org               sanjose.ca.us.undernet.org
delft2.nl.eu.undernet.org              santiago.cl.undernet.org
gothenburg.se.eu.undernet.org          stgeorge.ut.us.undernet.org
lausanne.ch.eu.undernet.org            tampa.fl.us.undernet.org
ljubljana.si.eu.undernet.org           vienna.at.eu.undernet.org
manhattan.ks.us.undernet.org           washington.dc.us.undernet.org
milwaukee.wi.us.undernet.org           wollongong.nsw.au.undernet.org
montreal.qu.ca.undernet.org