Subject: Linux-Activists - NET Channel digest. 94-1-16-23:44

From: Linux Activists <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 05:24:47 +0200

Topics:
	<none>
	 plip on odd HW/better collission detect

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Subject: <none>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 23:38:47 +0200

Either:
sunacm.swan.ac.uk:/pub/Linux/Networking/Programs/System/net-032/*

or the BSD one is ported as

sunacm.swan.ac.uk:/pub/Linux/Networking/Programs/System/slattach/*

Alan

------------------------------

From: "pb@cs" <[email-masked]>
Subject: plip on odd HW/better collission detect
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 02:04:39 +0200

When trying to connect my labtop with a pc via plip, I failed.
Tests with other PC's showed that plip normaly works fine. 
After a while, I found that the paralell-port of the labtop 
does not allow to use bits 7 and 6 of the status-port 
independently: Bit 6 ony toggles, when bit 7 is low. The net
effect is, that one bit of information is missing... But there
are still bits 2 and 3 in the control port, which are also
connected on a standard laplink-cable (pin 17 and 16). (The 
one usable as AND, the other as OR of the output-bits of the 
two pc's).

I changed the protocol to use this two bits instead of bit 7 in
the status port for line arbitration, collision-detection 
and handshaking. The result of this change is:
- the collision detection now should always avoid hangs, and
  no longer depends on the contents of the transported packets.
- bit 7 of the status-port is no longer used
- the protocol on the wire is incompatible with previous
  plip-versions @-(

The following patch works against plip 1.01 as contained in the
plain pl14-kernel. 

Gruss PB (Peter Bauer [email-masked])

(Hopefully I'm not the only one with odd printer-port hw... :-)

------------------------------

End of NET Digest
*****************
-------